Babylon Rising, Chapter 54
There has been some talk in the comments about how good (or bad) of a contract killer Talon is, and how much (or little) he uses his namesake-razor-finger-thing to actually kill people. And so, I have made this handy list of Talon’s kills so far:
Talon’s murders so far:
1) Farley the window washer: Talon actually does slash his throat with his namesake-razor-finger-thing
2) Impliedly-Gay Arthur Barrington: suffocated by medical equipment (or something)
3) The cop who is trying to arrest Chuck Nelson: possibly not a kill, just a knockout…bashed with a two-by-four
4-7) Young Woman in Basement, Young Man in Basement, Jenny, and Some Unnamed Character on the First Floor of the Church: killed by the bomb
8 ) Chuck Nelson: actually slashed with namesake-razor-finger-thing
9) Laura Murphy: strangled
And now, on to Murders 10 and 11!
Talon is breaking into the Parchments of Freedom Foundation, as Murphy and Isis are flying off to Saudi Arabia. For people supposedly as powerful and rich as The Seven, the scheme of sending Talon to steal the tail of the Brazen Serpent seems ill-conceived on at least two fronts:
1) Isn’t the whole idea for Murphy to find all the pieces for them? Didn’t they specifically order Talon not to “distract” Murphy? So why not wait until he has all three pieces, then steal them? Why risk “distracting” Murphy with the theft, when they want his energies to be concentrated on finding the other pieces?
2) Why is this theft assigned to Talon? He’s not a thief; he’s a contract killer. Despite the fact that they have apparently unlimited resources, they keep having Talon do everything: vandalize the U.N., bomb the church, and now, steal the tail. I feel like The Seven need to get the Leverage team on this job. Let’s steal ourselves a Bronze Serpent Tail!
Anyway, Talon decides that the best way to steal the tail is to dispatch the guards in as violent and weird a way as possible. Because it would just be a silly idea to sneak in undetected and get the tail as far away as possible before anyone is the wiser, right?
Talon sends his falcon to rip out the throat of the patrolling security guard (no, really). Then, when the other guard comes running, Talon signals his other falcon to slam into his back and break his spine.
It seems to me that this would hurt the bird a lot more than the guy, but again, I know nothing of birding.
Also, I think it’s kinda odd to carry dead mourning doves in your pockets to feed your falcons in the middle of your mission, but again, I’m not into falconry.
What does it LOOK like I’m doing?? I’M FEEDING MY FALCON!!!
Fiona, Isis’s assistant, is working late and stumbles across the bodies of the security guards. “Instinct” draws her to the vault, where she finds that the tail has been stolen, and a drawing of the snake has been carved into the metal shelf. Don’t ask me why Talon wasted time on this, either.
Fiona knows that she has to contact Isis and Murphy, and make them turn back.
See? See, The Seven?? This is what happens! You are screwing up your own master plan!!!